“Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.” Albert Einstein

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Option for 2/28: More role models


AK Rep Sharon Cissna refuses TSA pat-down of her mastectomy scars
Rep. Cissna says,

“So last night, as more and more TSA, airline, airport and police gathered, I became stronger in remembering to fight the submission to a physical hand exam. I repeatedly said that I would not allow the feeling-up and I would not use the transportation mode that required it.”

“For nearly fifty years I’ve fought for the rights of assault victims, population in which my wonderful Alaska sadly ranks number one, both for men and women who have been abused. The very last thing an assault victim or molested person can deal with is yet more trauma and the groping of strangers, the hands of government ‘safety’ policy.”

“For these people, as well as myself, I refused to submit.”

What do you make of this situation?

3 comments:

  1. I agree completely. If this situation was to happen to me, the last thing I would want would be a physical hand exam. I didn't know that you even needed to do that post sexual assault. I think that is should definatly be an option but if someone doesn't feel comfortable for any reason, they should be able to keep that right.
    -Tracy Ahearn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to say I disagree with Sharon on this one. I understand her point of view when she says she has her rights and what not, but regulations are regulations. Its not like the airport is groping/rubbing/touching in places they shouldn't be. Its standard procedure and should continue being done.
    Todd Cramer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I neither agree nor disagree with this situation. I feel like Mrs. Cissna has her rights just as much as the staff and security working at the airport do. It's pretty obvious she poses no serious threat to anyone's safety, however it has become a normal procedure to treat EVERYONE as if they do, especially after 9/11.
    -Scott Hedbloom

    ReplyDelete