“Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.” Albert Einstein

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Femail Genital Mutilation

I student in class shared this document with me. The document is published by the International Confederation of Midwives--a very reliable source. The describes the 4 types of Female Genital Mutilation:

Type I Excision of the prepuce with or without excision of part or all of the clitoris
Type II Excision of the clitoris with partial or total excision of the labia minora
Type III Excision of part or all of the external genitalia and stitching/narrowing of
the vaginal opening (infibulation)
Type IV Unclassified (includes several different forms of mutilation, one of which is cauterization)

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure the English language contains words to describe how disgusted I am about the very existence of this practice. Let alone the fact that doing such things is considered normal, necessary and commonplace in some societies. While I tend to view myself as fairly tolerant of others beliefs and cultures, I can't bring myself to tolerate the willing, purposeful and non-concentual maiming of another human being for any reason.

    Benjamin Barnes

    ReplyDelete